Friday, June 18, 2010

"You must follow Me."

Comparison: an examination of two or more items to establish similarities and dissimilarities.

I don't know of anyone that does not compare.  Whether it be houses or cars or people or whatever.

The trouble with comparison begins when we compare our walk with the Lord to others.  When we compare our ministry to others.  We can easily become discouraged with ourselves when we make comparisons because we may believe that others are "doing better" or "doing more". 

This happens because we become focused on those around us. We take our eyes off Jesus.

When my children were little, I would tell them while we were out shopping that they needed to watch me closely so that they would know where I was going. I told them they must follow me.  I wanted to teach them to stay focused on who they were following and not to become distracted or they might get lost.

I need to remember that lesson!

We must remember that God has made each one of us for a unique and special purpose. We must learn to listen and focus on what His will is for our lives. We must follow Him.

We must be careful that we don't compare our ministry to somebody else's ministry... that we don't compare our walk with Jesus with somebody else's walk. We can be encouraged by others.  We can be motivated.  And we definitely want to support and pray for others.

There are so many amazing people in this world (and we read about a LOT of them here in blog-land) that are doing some pretty awesome ministry!  We must beware of being so focused on what someone else is doing that we lose sight of Jesus and His purpose for our lives.

When we are focused on Jesus and faithfully serving where God has called us to serve and minister... when we keep our eyes on Him... then He can do great things through each one of us.

Great things does not mean big things.

In John 21, Jesus kept asking Peter "Do you truly love me?"  Peter got his feelings hurt (understandably, I think).  Then it reads as if Jesus took him on a walk to talk about it.  As they were walking, Peter noticed John following them and he asked Jesus, "What about him?"

Jesus replies, "...what is that to you? You must follow Me."

Here is a guy out on a walk with Jesus, he becomes distracted by someone else and what they're up to, comparing himself with someone else.  Jesus says to him "what is that to you?"   In other words, "Dude, focus!  Keep your eyes on Me."

If Peter, walking with Jesus, can become distracted by what is going on with someone else... then I am pretty sure that is going to happen to me! But my sweet Savior will walk with me and encourage me to focus on Him.

He commands each one of us... "You must follow Me."

Are you focused on Him?  Are you faithfully following Him?  Or are you watching someone else and comparing what your doing with them?

Jesus has a special and unique plan for your life! 

Follow Him!

1 comment:

thislifeunfolded said...

GOOD WORD, lady friend!