Friday, November 19, 2010

Remembering Daddy

My step-father, as most children might refer to a mother's second husband, recently passed away.  But he was so much more than a step-father.... he was my Dad.

He loved me as his own daughter.  He never thought of me or treated me as a "step" child... only his child.  He called me his "beautiful, wonderful, amazing, daughter".  He was proud of me and he told me often.  He celebrated me, encouraged me, adored me.  He loved me unconditionally... beautifully.


My favorite thing about Daddy was how happy he made my Mom.  He loved and adored her.  I loved watching them google over each other when I was younger and as I got older it was very entertaining to watch them pester each other... always with love.  They had a lot of fun together... it kept them young.


He was also a wonderful "Papaw" to all his grandchildren.  He loved his grandchildren like nobody's business. He adored them. He spoiled them like nobody's business too!  He couldn't help himself.  He loved teaching them new things and sharing new experiences with them... and giving them treats right before dinner.


Daddy loved collecting Coke-a-Cola memorabilia and Elvis was his favorite.  He loved a good western movie and playing games with his grandkids. He loved bringing people together, which is the reason he started "The 82nd Combat Engineer" website, as well as a website for his hometown's highschool.  He loved having coffee and chatting with friends.  If you ever stopped by his house to drop something off, you had better plan on staying awhile because he always had a story to share.

Daddy had a passion for people. He could talk to anyone... and he made everyone feel like someone special. It was his gift.  He will be greatly missed.

Saying goodbye is too hard... so I'll just say... "I'll be seeing you, Daddy."


2 comments:

Maryum said...

I feel sad about you losing him. And I feel happy too, to read how he loved you and your Mom.
God Bless him :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post!