Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On my Mind

I have Uganda on my brain... on my heart.

Did you know??? There are an estimated 2.4 million orphans in Uganda due to AIDS, war and poverty... and that Uganda is the size of Oregon. 2.4 MILLION orphans!

annnnndddd... Did you know???

That 50% of Uganda's population is under 15 years of age. 15 years of age! Who's loving these children?? Talking and listening to them?? Hugging and encouraging them?? Protecting them?? Directing them??

I have two children living there... waiting... for a Mom and Dad... for us... to bring them home... to love them, to take care of them... they are "waiting" for a family.

How many children will grow up with NO family?? NO Mom and Dad?? No one that will tell them they are special and that they matter!

HOW can I HELP them!?! How can YOU help them? Aren't we called as Christians to help them? Aren't we ALL called "to look after the orphans"... to "to feed the hungry"... "I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was Me -- you did it to Me."

Our trip to Uganda was life changing... and I am forever grateful to be changed. This quote sums up the spirit of the children that we met and loved on...
" In Africa, we must choose faith over despair. We must believe that life has meaning. We must believe that we can create meaning in our own lives by virtue of our actions. And we must believe that our actions can create positive meaning in the lives of others. That is what the orphans of Uganda taught me. They have chosen faith over despair, and in the process, they turned tragic lives into lives of meaning." Douglas Menuez

"You see that a person is justified by what he does...not by faith alone."

No comments: